Editor’s notice: We assessment ebooks, programs and instruments for writers, so you can also make good selections about find out how to spend money on your writing profession. As you realize, The Write Life solely promotes individuals and products we will stand behind 100%.
That’s why we’re excited to companion with Carol Tice, award-winning freelance writer and the founder of the Freelance Writers Den. The Den is just open for a restricted time! If the membership program is an effective match for you, be a part of by Tuesday, June 25, 2019.
I’ll be trustworthy: a huge part of the purpose I turned a author was to keep away from networking.
I’m an introvert and in addition a type of youngsters who, when tasked with group tasks, made everybody else in the group give me their stuff so I might do all of it myself. “Teamwork” and “collaboration” don’t have outstanding locations in my vocabulary.
However as I shortly discovered (and as you realize in the event you’ve spent greater than two seconds making an attempt to freelance), this isn’t a business where you’ll be able to go it alone. Discovering a writing group, or at the least some reliable business assets you’ll be able to flip to, is a important step to creating the type of freelance career you’re dreaming of. And fortuitously, there’s an choice that doesn’t require leaving the home — or even placing on pants.
- 1 What’s the Freelance Writers Den?
- 2 What options do you get as a Writers Den member?
- 3 What do I like about the Freelance Writers Den?
- 4 What do I not-so-like about the Freelance Writers Den?
- 5 Ready to join the Freelance Writers Den?
What’s the Freelance Writers Den?
Happening solely online, the Freelance Writers Den is the good place to find a resource-packed writing group, particularly for socio-phobes like me.
But since its 1,100+ members come from throughout the world, it’s also helpful for bona fide extroverts, even if they do have already got entry to a real-life writing circle. Even the richest native writing group can’t compete with international!
The Den was based in 2011 by Carol Tice, the “Den Mother” and thoughts behind the Make a Dwelling Writing blog. She’s been a successful freelancer for more than 15 years and at present earns six figures doing it. She needed to help different freelancers discover actual monetary success as efficiently as potential — and in addition to cease the inflow of one-off how on earth do I do this? emails she had in her inbox.
Membership to the Freelance Writers Den comes with a number of helpful instruments, content, and learning alternatives, which we’ll dive into under. It costs $25 per 30 days with no obligation — which isn’t loopy costly, however isn’t nothing, both.
So what do you get in your worth of entry?
What options do you get as a Writers Den member?
For most of us, freelancing isn’t exactly a get-rich-quick scheme — so once we pony up for a writing useful resource, we need to know we’re getting our money’s value.
Here’s what the $25-per-month Freelance Writers Den Membership will get you.
Online group forums
Ever sit down to write down a story (or pen a pitch, or start a weblog, or — you get it) and need you had a pleasant fellow freelancer whose shoulder you might tap to ask for recommendation, and even just commiserate?
The Freelance Writers Den forums are the next-best thing: an lively, affable group of writers convening to swap ideas, ask and answer questions, and share both challenges and success tales.
In contrast to even the most lively real-life writers’ group, the Den’s forums are open in your musings 24/7, they usually’re organized into helpful and related categories. Perhaps you’re trying to amp up your advertising expertise or ask a selected writing question — or perhaps you’re simply trying to meet more writers in your position. Either method, there’s a board for it, and a author (or ten) on the other end ready to connect.
Reside and recorded assets
The Freelance Writers Den is firstly a group, and the means to attach with other freelancers working to satisfy their objectives is invaluable on a elementary degree.
But there’s additionally an entire lot of experience to be thoughts from that group, and it’s obtainable in the type of more than 300 hours of evergreen assets — in addition to an actively-updated calendar of stay events.
- Bootcamps are primarily four-week-long ecourses, and your Writers Den membership provides you on the spot access to virtually two dozen of them. They’re designed that will help you get to the next step in your writing career regardless of the place you’re on your journey, from discovering your first-ever paid gig to breaking into enterprise writing or building a greater writer website. Each bootcamp comes complete with movies and interesting homework assignments, and the ones provided reside on a monthly basis function real-time Q-and-A calls that will help you make the most of the effort you’re placing into the course. They’re additionally augmented by discussions in the forums so you possibly can join with different writers diving into the similar subjects, and get feedback from the specialists dishing the details. (In other phrases, it’s nothing like being yelled at by a Drill Instructor.)
- Webinars and Podcasts are additionally provided by business influencers regularly, together with a useful “Ask the Editor” collection which provides you an insider view of what, precisely, editors are on the lookout for. You’ll also study to beat worry, improve productiveness, and work out the business end… to not mention, in fact, honing the craft itself.
- The Resource Library is where all this content material lives as soon as their livestream has passed, and it’s full of over 300 hours of content. So even in case you can’t make the scheduled occasions, you’ve still acquired loads of helpful goodies to wade via.
Non-crappy job board
Finding gigs is considered one of the hardest elements of freelancing, palms down. Discovering good gigs is even more durable.
That reality is why I really recognize the Den’s built-in job board, which is heavily moderated. You gained’t discover something that pays less than $50 per publish.
New listings are added twice weekly, on Mondays and Thursdays, so that you’re not inundated — but there’s additionally no shortage of alternatives to scope out. You’ll discover each distant and on-site listings for copywriters, editors, content marketers and more, and along with common previous freelance gigs, there are also part-time, contract, and retainer positions. The nature of the gig is made clear before you even click on on the itemizing. Fairly darn cool.
That’s really just the begin of what’s obtainable; as the helpful Orientation Guide puts it, the Den has “a lot of nooks and crannies.” Luckily, you’ll be able to easily maintain tabs of it all with once-weekly newsletters that come out every Monday, getting you able to deal with your week with power and success.
What do I like about the Freelance Writers Den?
I’ve been making a dwelling as a freelancer for a while now, and only simply discovered about this useful resource. Which elements made me say, “Man, I wish I’d known about this earlier?”
Properly, I’ll admit it: I’m not likely the ecourse sort. I’m halfway by means of my third full yr of freelancing, and I’ve but to seek out one I’m prepared to drop cash on. (In fact, I used to be fortunate enough to study loads of my freelancing expertise by way of friendships with other writers, giving me a jump-start that not everyone will get. There’s that networking thing once more!)
However I know plenty of writers adore ecourses — and I have to say, a Den membership looks like a good way to access them. It provides each an lively, rotating calendar of stay events in addition to scores of pre-recorded bootcamps, podcasts, and webinars, and you get into all of it for just $25 per 30 days. That’s method lower than the fees I often see marketed on personal ecourses.
What I do love about the Freelance Writers Den: the job board and the forums.
- The gigs posted on the job board are authentic, high-quality, and straightforward to filter, and I noticed a number of that hadn’t already crossed my radar by way of the grapevine or my newsletters. It’s good to know they’ve been pre-screened for non-crappiness, so I don’t should be quite as important as I often am whereas I’m clicking by way of. No freelancer has time to work for peanuts, and we have now even much less time to scrounge round on the web making an attempt to determine where the well-paid jobs are. So for me, the Den’s job board is definitely value the worth of entry all on its own.
- The boards are a tremendous means for a work-from-home writer to interface with different actual, stay individuals — who truly perceive the unique challenges we face as freelancers and might help us discover the assets, alternatives, and recommendation we’d like. I particularly love the board devoted to feedback and critiques, which lets you get some mild constructive criticism from other writers before you ship off your piece to an editor or potential shopper. Hey, higher to hear it from a peer than a paying buyer — or to have it derail your pitch!
What do I not-so-like about the Freelance Writers Den?
Don’t get me flawed, there’s lots to love about this group. The recorded content material might maintain you busy for months, and with a vibrant group of writers ready to talk in actual time, you’ve obtained other minds to bounce those new ideas and tips off of.
However no platform is perfect — and if I had to decide part of the Writers Den that would use enchancment, I’d say the consumer interface could possibly be slightly bit more intuitive. Those “nooks and crannies” Tice mentions are well-described; it’s straightforward to get misplaced again here! And whereas the important elements of the website are helpfully listed as links in the website header, I continuously really feel like I is perhaps lacking something as I click on round.
Ready to join the Freelance Writers Den?
So what’s the catch? Properly, the Freelance Writers Den only opens its digital doorways to the public twice a yr… however the excellent news is, the window’s open proper now!
So in the event you’re all for joining a worldwide group of freelancers and hustlers identical to you, leap on in. As we mentioned above, it’s only $25 per thirty days and you haven’t any contract to sign or obligation.
Actually, for those who determine it’s not right for you within seven days, you’ll get your a refund. So if worst involves worst, you spend every week networking with other cool writers who may even turn into long-term contacts.
In relation to freelancing, few selections are this straightforward.
Click on right here to seize your seat in the Writers Den at the moment.
This submit accommodates affiliate hyperlinks. Meaning if you are going to buy via our links, you’re supporting The Write Life — and we thank you for that!
Photograph by way of apichon_tee/ Shutterstock